Part 2 of my Birthday adventure on May 25th! I love anything to do with the ocean, marine life. I heard about this place shortly after we had moved to Japan. There was another Aquarium which we went to the first year we were here and it was in Aomori and I do believe I will have to write a post about that place as well in the future.
Since this would be my last chance to get to this little aquarium, no better day than my birthday. I will admit, it was a bit confusing finding this place. I will post the directions I have at the end of the post BUT keep in mind that you just need to get to Route 1 which runs along the Port in Hachinohe. You will get into the industrial area, just keep going!!
This aquarium is also used as a little place to learn some science. It is small. You won’t be here for hours on end and if you have young kids, it may not keep their attention for too long but I do recommend going. We have no children and we both loved it.
There were many different fish and small creatures as well as an open tank where kids can pick up and play with some star fish and other things. It is not regulated, so please keep and eye on your kids. I kind of felt bad for the cute little creatures as some little Japanese boy was not very kind to them,lol.
My favorite things to see there were the sea turtles and the seahorse! I would have loved to have seen some more largish things such as a shark but as I stated it is a small facility and the one huge tank they had fit the sea turtles and some other larger fish just fine. This aquarium is open every day of the week but closes kind of early, depending on the day it’s 5 or 6pm. The cost is 300Y for adults.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to leave a comment or you can Contact Me.
The directions will be after the photographs, enjoy!
– Take Hachinohe Toll road from Misawa to Hachinohe .
– Turn Right onto route 45.
– At the Traffic Light at the Bottom of the Hill, at the Overpass, Turn Left.
– Staying in the Left Lane , Follow the Road to where the Left Lane Goes Straight and the other 2 Lanes Turn Right. (There will be a sign for the Ferry Port at this point.)
– Go Straight, Through the Tunnel, Over the Overpass, and Turn Right at the Traffic Light.
– Follow this Road Over the Big Bridge to the T-Intersection.
– Turn Left.
– Turn Right at the Next Light, the Very Next Intersection.
– Follow this Road to the Last Road to the Right. (This is where the Center Markings in the Road End and Nothing but Fishing Ports are to your Left and Ahead of You.)
– Turn Right onto this Last Road to the Right.
– Turn Left at the Stop Sign at the End of the Block.
– Follow this Road to the T-Intersection. Seagull Island will be on your Right and Ahead of you a little bit.
– Continue on this road 500 meters. You will see the Aquarium on the right.